Telluride Elks Lodge #692 was established in 1901. The Telluride community was at one of its most optimistic points in history. Mining and commerce were booming. The Western Federation of Miner’s Union was working on a new hospital for the whole community.
The Elks had been in the Miner’s Union building in the early years. Moving to the east bay of L.L. Nunn’s 1st National Bank building in the 1940’s, then to a new building they built across from the court house in the 1980’s and finally to their present home in the historic Swede-Finn Hall on Pacific Street as the 21st century began.